21 novembre 2009

The artistic experience


This has nothing to do with politics, or maybe it does. I went to the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. today. It was intended to be a short visit, mainly to see Roy Lichtenstein's works, my latest passions in terms of art.

The museum itself is fantastic and it's such a privilege that people living here can just walk into so many museums and watch works of art for free, anytime as much as they want. Envy!


Part 1


Roy Lichtenstein is probably one of those artists I turned to after I exhausted my passion for Monet and the impressionists and for the Italian renaissance painters. What stroke me is the idea behind it. I found on youtube this documentary on him and maybe can help you to appreciate the artist and it also reveals its techniques.

Part 2


Pop art is always connected to Andy Warhol. Pop art challenged tradition by asserting that an artist's use of the mass-produced visual commodities of popular culture is contiguous with the perspective of fine art. Pop removes the material from its context and isolates the object, or combines it with other objects, for contemplation.

Part 3


Lichtenstein used oil and Magna paint in his best known works, such as Drowning Girl (1963), which was appropriated from the lead story in DC Comics' Secret Hearts #83. Also featuring thick outlines, bold colors and Benday Dots to represent certain colors, as if created by photographic reproduction.



I love they way he uses bright colors, similar to those used in advertisements and isolates them in order to form artistic pictures. I cannot explain the compelling feeling that his works trigger. But I love it.



I will surely go back to look at it works, maybe copy them, and understand where does my passion for this form of art comes from. And it cannot be compared to Andy Warhol (he appears in part 5 of this documentary) which I am not completely crazy about.



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento